Greek Cypriot Foreign Minister Nikos Christodoulides said disputes with Turkey regarding territorial claims to the eastern Mediterranean should be resolved at international arbitration in The Hague, Euronews reported.
“We suggested to go to the International Court in the Hague. We are ready to accept whatever the Court decides and as Turkey claims that they have a very strong legal position, the Court is in charge to decide. But so far there is no positive response by Turkey,” Christodoulides told Euronews in an interview on Tuesday, according to Euronews.
Ankara has been locked in a dispute with Athens and Nicosia over the validity of Cyprus’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ) and drilling for hydrocarbons in the eastern Mediterranean.
“Only dialogue can bring a solution and in this context, we have asked from Turkey to discuss our maritime borders in the north and west of Cyprus. And they refused,” he said.
Christodoulides’ comments came after Cyprus blocked the European Union’s plans to impose sanctions on Belarus, citing the lack of similar action against Turkey over what it maintains is illegal drilling off the island.
He said that the EU should not react “a la carte” to violations of member states’ sovereign rights, according to Euronews.