Several human rights experts have appealed to international organizations and the United Nations to include the Houthi militia in Yemen in the lists of international terrorism.
This came after the militia claimed responsibility for a January 17 terrorist attack on civilian facilities in Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates.
The attack left three people, including one Pakistani national and two Indians, dead. Six people were also injured.
Following the Houthi attack, international condemnations of the terrorist militia were lined up, including from the United Nations, Washington and the European Union.
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on the Houthis to prevent any escalation.
He said attacks against civilians or civilian infrastructure are prohibited under international humanitarian law.
This was also confirmed by the European Union in a statement.
US National Security Adviser, Jake Sullivan, said Washington would work to hold the Houthi militia accountable after it claimed responsibility for the attack.
It should be noted that this is not the first time that the militia threatens the UAE.
The Iran-backed group had previously seized an Emirati ship in the Red Sea in early January 2022.
On the implications of this attack, Yemeni political analyst, Mahmud al-Taher, described it as a ‘full-fledged terrorist attack’.
“This attack has political and military dimensions,” he said.
He accused Iran of seeking to make political gains for itself and its arms in the region.
“Tehran thinks it can make these gains by putting pressures on its neighboring countries,” al-Taher said.
Al-Taher told The Reference that this terrorist operation coincides with the great victories achieved by the legitimate forces in Yemen.
“Yemen’s legitimacy forces have hurt and humiliated the Houthis,” al-Taher said.
“These victories stopped dangers to the oil and gas-rich Marib province,” he added.